An operational amplifier also called an op-amp or op-amp is an integrated circuit primarily designed for performing analog computations. It has a very high voltage gain, typically of the order of 105 (100dB).
Although they are initially designed for performing mathematical operations like addition, subtraction, integration, differentiation, etc., (hence the name Operational Amplifiers), by using external components like resistors and capacitors to create a required feedback mechanism, they can also be used as an amplifier and for many other functions like filters, comparators, etc.
Op-Amp ICs have become an integral part of almost all-analog circuitry. In this article, we will take a look at one of the most used Op-Amp ICs: IC 741 Op Amp.
IC 741 Op-Amp (Operational Amplifier)
The 741 Op-Amp IC is a monolithic integrated circuit, comprising a general-purpose Operational Amplifier. It was first manufactured by Fairchild semiconductors in the year 1963. The number 741 indicates that this operational amplifier IC has 7 functional pins, 4 pins capable of taking input, and 1 output pin.
IC 741 Op Amp can provide high voltage gain and can be operated over a wide range of voltages, which makes it the best choice for use in integrators, summing amplifiers, and general feedback applications. It also features short circuit protection and internal frequency compensation circuits built in it. This Op-amp IC comes in the following form factors:
- 8 Pin DIP Package
- TO5-8 Metal can package
- 8 Pin SOIC
The following are the basic specifications of IC 741:
- Power Supply: Requires a Minimum voltage of 5V and can withstand up to 18V
- Input Impedance: About 2 MΩ
- Output impedance: About 75 Ω
- Voltage Gain: 200,000 for low frequencies (200 V / mV)
- Maximum Output Current: 20 mA
- Recommended Output Load: Greater than 2 KΩ
- Input Offset: Ranges between 2 mV and 6 mV
- Slew Rate: 0.5V/µS (It is the rate at which an Op-Amp can detect voltage changes)
- The high input impedance and very small output impedance make IC 741 a near-ideal voltage amplifier.
There are no reviews yet.